Heels, heads and double standards high.

The other morning, as I ponderously savoured my tea, a news story came up that caught my eye.

I’m not one to watch the news much, I’m not usually up in time to watch it. But I’m kind of glad I did today, as there was a segment all about how some women in the workplace were being forced to dress in more of a provoking manor. In a survey, women felt coerce to dress ‘sexier’ to protect their jobs. And if you didn’t already find that stomach churning enough, these stats may change that…

it was 86% of those women who felt that way.

This was through things like applying more makeup and wearing shorter skirts. 7% claimed it was urged they wore high heals to make them more appealing to clients. Some actually being sent home for wearing flats.

As you can guess, I was seething. I don’t even know where to start.

Firstly, its 2016 – Why is this figure still so big? Why is it even there? We’re supposedly living in this third wave of feminism, where woman can have a substantial education and can work hard to pursue actual professional careers. Because being a woman doesn’t make us any more in jeopardy. Because being a woman doesn’t make you any less human.

This took me back slightly to my school days, when we were suffocated to wear specific skirts at a specific length, otherwise we apparently weren’t worthy of our education. And now, we see the complete contrary. Where we are deprived of our work because we follow a simple dress code we have always known to be ‘respectable’ or, we wear what we are comfortable in.

Double standards in a nutshell, my friends.

Also, real talk, how uncomfortable are high heels? And for a whole working day? Understandable some don’t want to wear them. And, as I’ve seen from my mum and other women I know, it’s almost impossible for them to wear heels because of foot problems. Why put them in a painfully uncomfortable position just to be ‘more appealing’ to clients – and to certain colleagues.

Our job is not to be a walking advertisement. And, if I say so myself, to have to rely on short skirts, makeup and high heels for the success of a business, that says much more about the efforts of the those above the woman in said workplace than the vulnerability of the woman.We earned these jobs, we have though for decades to get here. Surely we’ve shown our worth? So why should we still be fighting for our place on this platform?

And why do we have to fight for this with our appearance? The corporal, working world is not a beauty pageant, our looks do not reflect our minds and talent.

Personally, if I was being told to wear such things to look sexier, and maybe had to wear uncomfortable clothing, I wouldn’t be particularly chirpy in work. Thus, although I may be more ‘appealing’ to some, my moral and attitude would bring that appeal down. But that would probably be an attitude problem on my behalf…

Now, before I wrap this up, I feel I do need to include somewhat of a disclaimer. Yes, this is still very apparent today, and ultimately, shouldn’t. But I am not saying all managerial positions, companies, men in the workplace are impelling this. However the numbers, according to the survey, are high, and that’s not okay.

Also on this feminism post, I have focused very much on women. It says in the new article, and of course is true, that men don’t always have it easy. But I want to leave that for another day.

Anyway, I hope this wasn’t too in your face.

Until next time,

Share:

15 comments so far.

15 responses to “Heels, heads and double standards high.”

1. Kayleigh Zara says:

This is something that always bothers me as well! My auntie works for a bank and she has been told to wear heels for certain meetings and has refused to on some accounts and they just send her home, it’s ridiculous really X

• Em says:

No way?? Its such a pointless issue, like it shouldn’t be an issue what women wear? And men for that matter! x

2. Charlene McElhinney says:

I can feel your passion, your personality and your heart throughout this post.
    You shared this on #teacupclub and said sorry for the rant – no need to say sorry chick! I bet you felt a lot better after posting this and getting it off your chest and out there, right!?
    Keep up the phenomenal work.

Love
    Charlene McElhinney
    @blogabtnothing1

• Em says:

Aww this comment made me so happy, thank you so much for these words lovely! I did feel a lot better, because I was able to speak my feelings which was great. Thank you so so much! xx

3. I NEVER let anyone dictate what I wear because guess what? It’s my body. That isn’t even a deep feminist point, but a HUMANIST issue. Great post lovely- I totally agree with everything you said here! X

• Em says:

YAS GAL, you know it. Exactly, making someone become some sort of walking advertisement is against all human logic and rights. Thank you so much! x

4. This was such an interesting read! I had never made the connection between the contrary between how girls are expected to dress at school compared to at work. I couldn’t agree more with you!

5. eikojonwa says:

This is so unbelievably true! I mean,this is 2016, for crying out loud!

6. eikojonwa says:

This is so unbelievably true! I mean,this is 2016. Nobody should be told what to wear!

7. Love Emily x says:

Love love love this post! It’s so great to have people so passionate about these things and willing to express them. You’re so right, things need to be changed in society otherwise we will go back to the sexual divide there once was!

I had a man in B&Q make a sarcastic remark about me because I was in a DIY shop and willing to do work with my boyfriend?! I was so offended but unsure about whether to actually say anything to him or after on my blog! You’re inspirational!! Love your blog xx

• Em says:

Thank you so much! I was umming about posting this then thought, why should I worry? This is such a real issue and without talking about it how are we going to resolve it? Exactly, we’re called the human race for a reason! No way? Some people just don’t get it do they, it’s 2016 you should be able to be in B&Q and do DIY stuff without any questions. Aww thank you so much, it genuinely means the world to me!! xx

8. emshum says:

Thank you so much for saying something about this! It’s so upsetting that this is still a problem!

• Em says:

You are ever so welcome, it definitely needed to be said! I know right, like come on it’s 2016?! Thank you for reading!