Becoming A Morning Person.

After setting endless goals (and endless alarms) to be a ‘morning person’ and be more productive with my day, it resulted in scrolling innumerable pins and websites on Pinterest for silly hours. I then registered: I was actually being completely contradictory to myself. But then fell into this somewhat paradoxical frenzy of where the heck do I go from here to wake up and be a morning person.

Manic, I know.

However, now I feel I have become a morning person, and it is a genuine natural reflex for me rather than forcing my eyes open and dragging myself around which chugging my 3rd cup of coffee.

And how has this swift reordering of Em’s lifestyle happened?

Well to pin-point a moment or particular thing that turned the tables would be wrong of me. As it wasn’t just one miracle, it was a process. And I guess how it all turned around was that I started listening to myself.

It’s all good and well reading what others are telling you to do and trying them out. And you never know, it could work for you, which is great! I’m not knocking anyone giving advice, because having tried them myself I know they do aid this process (and that would be very hypocritical of me making this post!). But I just feel in these sort of changes we need to take a moment to look at ourselves and ask “What do need?” Because the answer will be laying much closer to the surface than you may think. We can get so caught up in these articles and posts and remedies we forget the simple things. I asked myself where I was going wrong and it was as easy as giving myself 30-45 minutes with no lights on or anything to lay and relax, as it takes me a while to actually get to sleep so if my bed time was 11:00 I would aim to be in bed by 10:30.

Secondly, like a lot of people say, set realistic goals. But it is so important. As I mentioned it is a process, and we all go at different paces adjusting different things. So with the whole ‘listen to yourself’ – know what is realistic for you.

Although I do believe you should follow your own mind, I will share what I did which has developed me to be a morning person, as it is a case of trail and error and you never know, some of these may work!

• ALARMS – Since my time at school, alarms were my worst enemy, as I had to wake up to them. But the ringing and vibrating did fully wake me up. But then, the noise was just so galling, I had to change it. And decided to use a song, but a happy morning sort of song which would wake me up to a good mood.
  • SHUTDOWN SO YOU CAN SHUTDOWN – My laptop, phone, any screen was off at least an hour before bed. It’s as simple as that.
  • EXERCISE – Morning exercises were my favourite thing, especially runs, as you may know from my older post. It just put a whole lot of goodness in me for the day ahead. And although I may not be able to go for a run every morning, some stretches or yoga or a dog walk will do just as well!
  • WRITE – I have a lot scampering round my mind, especially when I’m tired. Thought bubbles full of emotions or ideas or wishes or whatever, and they can keep me up, keep my brain ticking over too much. So I need to pop these bubbles, and I do that by writing, either a to-do list, diary entry or just on a scarp of paper.
  • HAVE A PURPOSE – When I have something to do that day, I wake up with a spring in my step, as I have a purpose to wake up. So I set little goals or things to do the next day which push me to be awake and get it done.

I really hope this helps and you enjoyed it. I can’t say these will work for everyone but from reflecting on myself, it is what I have found to work and I mean, it still is a process, I’m not doing everything I’ve said constantly and sometimes I lie in a bit or go to bed at weird hours – but that’s life, there isn’t perfect consistency! But I do believe I have converted to the morning person life!

Until next time,

Share:

28 comments so far.

28 responses to “Becoming A Morning Person.”

1. This is so helpful for me because I’m a night owl. (As I’m typing this it’s late at night here and I have to wake up at 4 tomorrow). Thank you for sharing! x

Kayla | http://uncrea.wordpress.com

• Em says:

Ah I’m glad you like it, I really hope it helps lovely! Really? Gal get some sleep aha! Thank you for reading! x

2. Great post! I’m naturally a morning person but I struggle to get out of bed some mornings so I put my phone on the other side of my room which literally forces me to get out of bed to turn it off!

• Em says:

Thank you lovely! That’s such a good trick, I know a few of my friends who do that which literally drives them out of bed aha!

3. This post was so interesting! I feel like I am a morning person and I used to exercise in the mornings but I got lazy. I think I need to start again!

4. kayleighzara says:

I’m not really a massive morning person, I get up in the morning but only just haha! I’m slowly pushing my waking up time earlier everyday and it’s working for me X

• Em says:

I’m very much the same, I do it because I kind of have to or I feel it’s for the best, not because I want to aha! Aww good I’m glad! I hope all goes well with it lovely! x

5. I am definitely not a morning person! But my biggest downfall is I never settle… I’ll be sat on my phone until I drift off to sleep, it’ll stay by the side of my bed during my sleep and then it’s the first thing I pick up in the morning. Probably the worst possible thing to do because you are never truly letting your mind rest! Love the idea of exercise in the morning though, maybe I’ll sacrifice my morning Facebook scroll for a morning stroll instead! xx

• Em says:

I used to be exactly the same, and it’d result in me tossing and turning for hours! And I still do it sometimes now to be honest! I think it is good to have that screen free time in your life, as it can be straining on so many things, and it’s nice to just enjoy the real life without technology for a bit I find! Omg I love that line, yaaas! xx

6. These are some great tips to help! I really need to learn to shut everything off, that’s my biggest down fall. I’m always up about half 6/7 in the morning because my little one but I’m still not a morning person! I loath it. I really need to try some of these out and like you say, set realistic goals.

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

• Em says:

Thank you! It’s very hard I know, it’s all about little steps and trust me once you do you’ll feel so much better about yourself! Ahh no way, bless you! Yesss being true to yourself and your goals is so important, be pleasantly surprised with hitting smaller goals than disappointed because you can’t hit something impossible!

7. Becca says:

Well done for getting up and going running in the morning – I wish I could do that but I already have to be up so early I can’t justify it! Love that you wrote stuff down too, always thought it was a little odd thing I did but it’s nice to know I’m not alone 🙂 really lovely post and some good ideas! I’ll try em!

Becca | theapresgal.com

• Em says:

Thank you! Aww no:( You are definitely not alone, I think it’s such a great thing to do! However I know what you mean, I feel some people think I’m strange for doing it aha! Thank you so so much lovely! x

8. simpleandseason says:

I definitely needed this! I love the idea of morning yoga and wafting around in a dressing gown as the sun comes up, but unfortunately it takes me 7 alarms at 5 minute intervals to get up late for work 🙁

• Em says:

Aww I’m glad! Ahh really? Don’t worry I’ve been there too, but if you want to achieve what you perceive you can certainly do it!

9. Gabby says:

I’ve also been trying really hard to be a morning person recently! I’m so tried of wakeing up mid afternoon having slept the day away! I really like the idea of doing exercise, I hear that morning exercise is really good for your immune system so two birds one stone really!

Great tips Em!

• Em says:

Ahh no way? I know right it does make you feel somewhat slumped! I love exercise in the morning, it wakes you up, makes you feel ready and exactly – many birds one stone! Thank you so much lovely!

10. a girl recommends says:

I’m definitely going to need to take some of these tips on board as the winter months set in. It’s so hard to get up when it’s still dark outside! Thank you for such a helpful post xx

• Em says:

Aww I’m glad, tell me how they go! I know how you feel completely like, it’s still dark thus I should still be asleep! Thank you for reading! xx

11. Hollyx says:

Great post xx I love these tips! I am always trying to be a morning person and I think these tips will help 🙂

12. Alice says:

I’ve always wanted to give exercising a go in the morning before I do anything else, but I would have to get up even earlier for work and be tired all day aha! I might give it a go on my days off because I bet it makes you feel great for the day ahead!

The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

• Em says:

I know that feeling, it can be so hard to balance work or school and social life with a fitness! It really does, hope it goes okay lovely!!

13. Jay says:

This was great! Thanks for the ideas. I would really love to be a morning person as I feel so much more productive and it puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day. I’m definitely going to have to try these out and see what works. Have to keep at it too seeing as things being repeated can become habit! Thanks for sharing xo

Jay
    blissfulbeautybird.com

• Em says:

Aww thank you so much lovely! It does me too, and waking up late just makes me feel so slumped. Ahh tell me how they work out for you! Exactly, it’s definitely a thing you need to consistently do! Thank you for reading lovely xo

14. Aine says:

I’m slowly becoming a morning person. I used to be and then I found I worked better at night, so sometimes I’m a bit of both. It depends on what my body has decided. I do need to start switching off my devices sooner before bed though, I often end up listening to podcasts on my laptop just before bed – not the best idea when they’re work related! I have lots of ideas to get out. More books, less work 🙂

Honestly Aine

• Em says:

Ahh I totally get that, I’m the same – mixing between this morning person and night owl! It’s something that we get told so much, and don’t realise how well it actually works until we try it. Totally agree!! x