Posing Tips To Get The Most From Your Blogger Shoot

I’m no model, but I do love me a good little photoshoot. I find them so much fun plus you feel fancy af. And as someone who probably resembled a rabbit in headlights in front of a camera at first, I feel like I’ve learnt a few tips n’ tricks whilst doing blogger shoots, both with friends or with a photographer. So I wanted to share my posing tips to get the most from your blogger shoot! Whether it’s your first time, or you’re a little camera shy here are some ideas to have a fun and successful shoot. As shoots are so much fun and can really help build your confidence! Also excuse my poor explanations, I’m not great at wording how to do things, but lets give it a crack…

Posing tips

PREPARE YOURSELF, BUT BE OPEN

When I had my first shoot I had so many ideas and expectations which I just couldn’t reach because I didn’t really know what was going on. I kind of just expected things to happen, and they didn’t. Don’t get me wrong the photos turned out fab still and I was happy with them, I just needed to know what I was doing. So I’ve learnt to be a lot more prepared for the future. When I say prepare I just mean, know what you’re wearing. If you’re doing this shoot for a specific blog post or purpose know what you want out of it. All those sorts of things. But of course, be open minded, experiment with different poses and angles. As usually they’re some of the best ones!

When preparing, I know it’s cliche and a bit cringey but check yourself out in the mirror. Know your angles and expressions, just to give you a head start as I’m sure my first shoot probably has 100 double chins in. Also I like to use Pinterest for outfit, location and posing ideas. I just keep a little board of ideas so when I have a shoot I can refer to there! If you want some inspo go check it out here.

COMMUNICATE

Similar to preparing, make sure you’re communicating with your photographer or friend. I tend to even show them my Pinterest inspo to give them an idea. Because, especially when you’re paying money, they want you to have the best experience and to be satisfied with the photos. If there’s anything specific you want, tell them or a specific sort of edit. Equally, if you’re insecure about anything let them know!

Also, whilst you’re snapping talk to your photographer, it’ll feel a lot more easy and it’s great to get candid shots! It definitely relaxes those nerves and will make you way more comfortable in front of the camera!

Posing tips

PROPS

Props are an actual life saver. The one thing me and my friends will always say half way through a shoot is: “WHAT DO I DO WITH MY HANDS?!” And props are the answer. Whether its a coffee, phone, bunch of flowers, food – whatever works for you. They can also be super aesthetically pleasing to the photo, and it makes it look a little bit more casual and candid. It can open up a whole new range of posing ideas and other focus points.

HOW TO BE A CATFISH 101

I’m kidding, but I’m also not kidding because I feel like I make myself look a lot taller than I actually am when in reality I’m the size of a 13 year old. But how to do that is either your classic one leg angled in front of the other tip-toes job or angles. Let me try explain the first one better. If you stand facing the camera and then pop one leg slightly in front of the other, at the slightest angle, knee ever so slightly bent. And then go on your tip-toes ever so slightly, so it’s not even that recognisable! You can also do that position stood at an angle and create the illusion of you walking.

Posing tips

Posing tips

WAVE YO HANDS IN THE AIR LIKE YOU JUST DON’T CARE

Blogging shoots have had a very editorial feel to them lately. And I’m not mad. I think they’re really pretty and cool and super doable, despite what you may think. And one tip to achieve this is to create motions with your arms, or to hang your arms in literally any position. Some may look like you don’t know whether to give someone a hug or a handshake. But there will be good ones I promise!

WALK THIS WAY

Creating the illusion of walking it great, but also making some movements is perfect to capture an outfit and create this editorial look. Just start walking and do whatever movements feel right. If you wanna twirl a bit, give us a twirl. You do you, and you’ll get some great candid shots.

LIGHTS, ANGLES & ALL THAT JAZZ

Now for the obvious bits, that I still feel are necessary to say. Lighting, of course is your best friend to capture the high points of your face and to create artsy shadows. Obviously you can’t always control the light especially when shooting outside but play with what you’ve got. Angles, just try every single angle, even if you don’t think it’ll work. Also levels, maybe have a little crouch or if there’s a bench/steps sit down and get some new perspectives. Finally, cliche I know but be yourself. Don’t try to be anyone you’re not because honestly the photos will be very static and almost too ‘posey’ so just have fun and be yourself as you’re definitely going to enjoy the whole experience and the photos more!

Posing tips

I could go on about this forever I love talking about photography. But here are my tips. I’m thinking of writing a post of taking self-shots and how I do that. And also how I teach my boyfriend/friends to take photos. So let me know if that would actually be of interest!

PHOTOGRAPHY BY STACEY WHITE
seriously if you ever need a photography hit her up she’s insanely talented!
Share:

26 comments so far.

26 responses to “Posing Tips To Get The Most From Your Blogger Shoot”

1. Gee Gardner says:

Thank you so much for his post! It is everything! I’ve been trying to get back into taking outfit shots and it’s so hard not to look stiff in front of a camera! These tips have been so helpful! x

• emibeccamarven says:

Aww you’re very welcome! Thank you so much! It can take getting used to, honestly I was like a brick when I first started taking outfit shots haha! x

2. And, be born beautiful with so much grace. You’re pics beg to be clicked. You make posing seem effortless.

3. sarahlamb says:

loved this! so many fab tips 🙋‍♀️

4. Lucy Cole says:

Love this post em! I’m currently planning a post on how to feel confident in front of the camera! I’ve started flinging my arms about a lot more in photos recently and they look so much better!!xx

Lucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

• emibeccamarven says:

Aww thank you! Yesss I can’t wait to see it your photos are always so beautiful! Ahaha it’s such a weird little technique but it works so well! xx

5. Sarah says:

These are some great tips! I have grown so in love with photography and I mostly love taking thought out photos, like really artsy which my boyfriend helps me take (not always being extremely happy about it but I know he likes to see me succeed and in the end he’s pretty proud of the photos that turn out good so!) which I also get inspiration for from Pinterest (what CAN’T you use Pinterest for?)!

Sarah

6. Paula Archbold says:

My signature poses are mainly me standing stiffly in front of the camera with a hand on my hip haha! I love this advice, it will definitely help me I’m sure! x

• emibeccamarven says:

Gurllll that was me for ages! Honestly once you start experimenting and moving you’ll become a lot more comfortable and confident! x

7. Gemma says:

These photos of you are gorgeous, I love Stacey’s photography she’s so talented!

• emibeccamarven says:

Aww thank you beaut! She’s soooo talented I couldn’t get over how our shoot turned out! x

8. Deasy says:

Great tips! As a photographer myself, it’s so important to communicate the vision you have with your photographer. Maybe have a mood board or an inspiration board in terms of environment, lighting, angles, and poses.

• emibeccamarven says:

Thank you! Ahhh awesome, I’ve always gone with a inspiration board even if I don’t know location or purpose yet but it’s so so helpful! xx

9. You’re making me want to have another shoot! Let me know when you’re free gal! xx

Brooke | http://www.brookeclarke.com

10. Lauren says:

I’d love to see you do a post on how you teach other people to get photos for you! My boyfriend tries and we do sometimes get a good shot but I’m trying to get better and more confident getting pictures of myself for my blog – so that post would be so helpful haha! Your photos are always so stunning!! Xx

Lauren | laurenjcole.wordpress.com

• emibeccamarven says:

Ahhh thank you lovely! My boyfriend always wants it to be a quick few photos so I’ve been teaching him to make it quick and quality bless him! Awww thank you! xx

11. Ah, this post is just what I needed! Thank you so much for these tips!

12. This is great! I haven’t taken pics for my blog yet I just chose my most recent family photo, which isnt super flattering. Now that baby is here, I’ll be using these tips soon!

13. Shirin says:

These photos are stunning! I totally know what you mean about not knowing what to do with your hands because I used to be that girl, too. Props definitely help give my hands something to do. Love your tips!

Shirin | http://www.queenshirin.com

• emibeccamarven says:

Aww thank you! It’s so hard to find new things to do with your hands, same! Thank youuu! x

14. Sophie says:

I’m definitely going to save this post to refer to in the future, trying to improve my posing recently to post more outfit shots. I definitely be interested in reading the two other post ideas you had at the end of the post, the would be so helpful!

Sophie | http://www.sophiesspot.co.uk