HAVING AN ONLINE DETOX

Being in a generation that can only be expressed best through monkey emojis and Owen Wilson memes is weird. And the internet can be shown in quite a dark light. But I quite like the online life, it let’s you express a lot of creativity and share your voice. Saying that, I’ve recently felt like a need a bit of a break from social media and being online. But at the same time, I feel like I don’t need a full out break? Are you still with me? So it dawned on me that, as opposed to completely taking a break, I’m in need on an online detox.

Alas you can’t sip some green tea and be done with it. But having an online detox has definitely been a weight off my shoulder. I just feel like I’m having more of a positive time on the internet. It’s just like when you clean your room or have a warm bath and you just feel fresh and new. So I’m start a movement (maybe a little dramatic??) and I urge everyone has an online detox. With autumn in the foreseeable future it’s the perfect time to hit the refresh button and get inspired again.

MESSY INBOX, MESSY MIND

We’ve all had those admin moments. Where your inbox if overflowing and you don’t even know where to begin and it seems easier to just hide in a duvet fort. Adulting. But honestly, a hardcore inbox and admin clear out does the world a bit of good. And the best part is, you can do them from the comfort of your duvet fort with a cuppa.

I always just go one by one and decide if it’s a 2 minute job or a bit of a larger job. If its a 2 minute job, do it there and then. That tends to be sending links or media kits, or just answering general bits n’ bobs which then get popped into different folders. And then a larger jobs are anything that might require a bit more time and effort. And those all get done afterwards when I can think about them more.

GOING BACK TO PEN AND PAPER

I’m possibly the worst blogger in the sense that I really don’t plan anything. I just word vomit and hit schedule. But I’ve been working on actually taking my ideas back to ye olde pen and paper. You’re not worrying about all the other tabs you have open or whether that SEO light is green or red. And it’s been so nice to get away from the screen and put a lot more thought into my blog, and it gets me super excited whenever I go to write up posts. Also, I mean, who doesn’t love buying all the stationary???

DO NOT DISTURB

There’s a fab little setting on most phones called do not disturb. Something you can schedule to go on if you like to keep your evenings to yourself, or you can also do it manually if you just need a moment in peace. But it’s truly a little lifesaver for when you need an online detox. Just like you’d stop drinking caffeine or alcohol on a detox, stop having that constant ‘ping’ of a notification telling who liked what or what celeb dramas going on. And even head out without your phone. This is a cliche one but it’s so important to have moments away from your screens. So go on a walk, read a book, have a pamper, go for coffee. You do you. Just do it without your phone for  moment.

KNOWING WHEN TO UNFOLLOW

You don’t always have to go through and unfollow those inactive accounts or the ones that don’t give you the inspo anymore. But I just think it helps me have a fresh feed and feel like I’m in more of an inspiring community. So every now and again I go through and just make sure I am following feeds that inspire me and make me want to create. Which is so important to me when getting back into the game.

Obviously, sometimes you just need a little break but here is my thoughts for the times when you just need to have a fresh start. What do you do to have a little online detox?

17 Comments

1. 16/08/2018 / 7:48 pm

Loved this Em – I’ve just had a bit of a break from my blog but been keeping up to date on instagram and twitter and I feel so much better for it. I’m the worst at letting emails pile up in my inbox too, I always have to pick a good time to go through them all!

• emibeccamarven
      17/08/2018 / 11:01 am

Aww thank you so much lovely! Hope you’ve had a nice little break! As am I don’t worry, I always have to be in the mood to do emails haha! x

2. 16/08/2018 / 8:33 pm

When I came back from holiday recently there were sooo many e-mails in my inbox I didn’t want to begin so I kept putting it off. Now I’ve finally gotten through them all and that feels like such a weight off my shoulders!

Sarah

• emibeccamarven
      17/08/2018 / 11:02 am

I was the same don’t worry! Awww good!

• emibeccamarven
      17/08/2018 / 11:02 am

Thank youu! Yesss exactly x

3. 17/08/2018 / 10:36 am

Love it! I feel the same. I don’t want to completely stop going online, but do need breaks now and again. Pen and paper is always good and it still means you can posts drafted etc. Plus, why wouldn’t you want to buy stationery?! I’ve recently signed up to Crowdfire as I realised I was following accounts that hadn’t posted for months. It’s good to always have fresh content to engage with.

Megan x

• emibeccamarven
      17/08/2018 / 11:03 am

Aww thank you! Yes exactly, you need like an inbetween? Yaaaas you can never have too much stationery! Yess exactly you want it to be an inspiring place! x

4. 20/08/2018 / 6:41 pm

I honestly feel like I could do with an online detox, I take very short breaks and always feel so much better for it x

• emibeccamarven
      21/08/2018 / 10:38 am

Yesss sometimes short and frequent breaks are the best! xx

• emibeccamarven
      21/08/2018 / 12:43 pm

It’s not sad at alllll, I’m exactly the same I find it so satisfying! xx

• emibeccamarven
      24/08/2018 / 11:09 am

This is me right now, I definitely have to be in the mood to go through emails! xx

5. 19/09/2018 / 4:39 pm

I much prefer this idea to a complete break from the internet as it seems much more achievable! Writing down ideas for blog posts and drafting them on paper seems like such a lovely way to do it. Like you, I also get stressed with the SEO and Yoast plugins on WordPress telling me my writing is amber or red and it can be so distracting! Going back to pen and paper also helps with the excessive time we spend in front of the screen! I also like to go through who I’m following once in a while and have a clear out – it’s usually the big accounts who I follow in the spur of the moment because their feed looks pretty but then I realise that it’s not really the content I want to see on a daily basis! Emails, on the other hand, is one I’d rather leave… 🙈

Milenka x
    Blushing Lately

• Emilybecca
      Author
      19/09/2018 / 7:25 pm

Yes exactly, it’s hard to avoid the internet nowadays, but by doing it in little ways has the same effect. It’s so annoying isn’t it! I love writing everything out, it’s so relaxing and I feel like more thought goes into it? Oh my gosh I knowwww I’m the same! Ahahaha I wish I could leave them but they stress me out haha! xx