HOW TO DETOX YOUR WARDROBE FOR AUTUMN

Ahhh the classic conundrum – having too many clothes yet having nothing to wear. I feel that all to much. So I set out on what seemed like a whole expedition to have a big wardrobe clear out. Especially as autumn is nigh and I want to make room for all the jumpers and scarfs. And I thought I’d document my experience and give my tips for those who may be in need for a wardrobe clear out and some new closet ideas. I also find posts like this motivates me and gives me a bit of a kick up the arse I need to get stuff done. So hopefully it might help others too!

closet ideas

closet ideas

HAVE YOU WORN IT? DO YOU LOVE IT? WILL YOU WEAR IT?

There’s no right or wrong way to start out. Some like to go drawer by drawer or clothing type. Others like to do the old get it all out and hope for the best technique. I’m definitely of the former. But anyway, the first thing I tend to do is start asking myself when I last wore each item. And usually if it’s been at least 6 months, lets be real, I’m unlikely to wear it again. I also ask myself how much I love it and whether I’d wear it again. If I can instantly see how and when I’d wear it, it’s probably a keeper. But if I’m a bit stuck then I clearly don’t love it enough and it may be time to say bye bye. This helps pick out those staple items, such as a leather jacket or a denim skirt, as opposed to those more one off items that have had their 5 minutes of fame.

I do also look into the practicality purposes of each item. Such as most t shirts I own which I’d never wear out and about but for doing jobs around the house or farm in or for going on dog walks in are perfect to shove on.

DOES IT FIT? IS IT DAMAGED?

A bit of an obvious one, but I always give my wardrobe a good MOT to make sure everything’s in-tact. As I know we all love our old faithfuls but they all need replacing in the end. Especially if they’re stretched out or you’re like me and get either tea or curry all down them…

closet ideas

DO I HAVE SIMILAR ITEMS?

I’m very guilty of buying very similar items. It becomes a problem when all you wear is white, black, grey and the odd bit of burgundy. And even as a queen of doing just that, even I say it’s a bit much to have 5 blush jumpers and 7 white tees with random words embroidered on them. So maybe it’s time to filter through them, pick your favourites and let go of a few. I could never have a capsule wardrobe as much as I wish I could. But never be afraid to recycle clothes and outfits!

CLIMBING THE THREE PEAKS – CHARITY, SELL, BIN

After you’ve sorted through everything, and you’ve got the collection to clear out. It time to decide what next. I put everything into 3 piles, or mountains if you will – charity, to sell, for the bin. The latter is usually quite small but anything really worn out or stained won’t be much use to anyone else. And I doubt charities will use them. So its time to pop them in the fabric recycling. Then as I’m lazy I only really sell items I know are on trend and people would buy. Or if they’ve never been worn before or seasonal pieces so things like unused bikinis (if you sell used bikinis you need to leave the internet) or coats. The rest I tend to just pop into charity as it’s easier. I do also have an ‘idk’ pile just for those things that I need a second opinion on.

closet ideas

I was going to add a section about buying clothes for the new season when you’re poor af like me. But this post is long as it is. So maybe I’ll leave that for another time. But I hope you liked this kinda mumsy post. Maybe next I’ll start reviewing washing up liquid, just wait.

Photos by Livie
Also if you don’t follow her instagrams you need to! You can find them here and here.

14 Comments

1. 13/09/2018 / 4:16 pm

Haha I literally chuck it all out of the closet and hope for the best! I did a summer detox and it felt so good, I ended donating so many clothes to charity that I didn’t need. Loved this post! x

amerzwithlove.com

• Emilybecca
      Author
      14/09/2018 / 9:16 am

I think I’d be too scared to do that haha! Yesss gal, it’s mad how many clothes you don’t wear until you go through them all! Thank you! x

2. 13/09/2018 / 10:04 pm

Love love love this post!! I’m planning a big clear out soon as I put away my summer clothes. I always wait until I’m in one of those brutal moods to sort through my stuff so I don’t second guess whether to chuck clothes out!

Lucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

• Emilybecca
      Author
      14/09/2018 / 9:18 am

Ahh thank you!! Yesss as do I haha! x

3. Isobel
    14/09/2018 / 7:11 am

Now that autumn is officially here, I’m definitely doing a wardrobe sort out! But I’ll be keeping some summer pieces in there that I can style up through autumn just with adding a jumper to a dress or a skirt! Love this post em! Followed Livie on instagram too!

Isobel x

New post: https://fashionistachic14.blogspot.com/2018/09/fashion-autumn-is-fast-approaching.html?m=1
    Insta: https://www.instagram.com/isobelceline/
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/isobelceline
    New video: https://youtu.be/KKyZ9sn08us
    Bloglovin : https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/fashionista-chic-12984939

• Emilybecca
      Author
      14/09/2018 / 9:26 am

I still need to do a thorough clear out! Yesss thats a good idea! Awww yaaay you won’t regret it! x

4. foreverseptember1
    14/09/2018 / 5:26 pm

I really need to have a big clear out ready for autumn, I have too many tshirts that are either too old or ones I never wear. Its time to get rid of some stuff and start doing some shopping for the colder months!

Lucy | Forever September

• Emilybecca
      Author
      16/09/2018 / 8:57 pm

I’m currently in the midst of mine and it’s so satisfying but so stressful too haha! Yesss all about the new wardrobe shopping! x

• Emilybecca
      Author
      16/09/2018 / 8:59 pm

As am I! Yaaaaas love me a good ASOS shops, and any excuse works for me! xx

5. 17/09/2018 / 2:58 pm

I really need to do this. I definitely have a few too many Primark slogan tees that I only wear at the weekend. and far too many burgundy/wine/maroon tops (guess what my favourite colour is xD).
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk

• Emilybecca
      Author
      17/09/2018 / 3:03 pm

Ahhh we’ve all been there! xx

6. Hayley Williams
    21/09/2018 / 8:51 am

I’m currently part way through a declutter, it’s so good for the mind as well as the storage space! Xx

• Emilybecca